Friday 29 July 2016

D. Gray Man Hallow ep 3 review

Hey all! I am so sorry that I haven't been updating my posts regularly. I have to warn you guys that this will probably be quite a common thing for these few months as I start preparing my A's. Thank you for your understanding and let's begin!

First impression: 
Bear with me, it has been a while since I saw this episode so I'll try my best to convey my first impression of this episode. As usual this is an amazing episode and I really like the emotional play here. I must say I am liking Timothy more and more...yes he is brash and extremely reckless but still innately he is a very compassionate person. Although some of the exorcist started from young, Timothy is currently the youngest so far. I'm really looking forward to how this anime will develop Timothy in his new path as an exorcist.


Scenes:
1. Timothy's origins
Timothy's origins is very sad, as do most of the exorcists have, and I can't help but feel sad for him. We get to know how he ended up in the orphanage and how he got his innocence. We also get to understand Timothy's intention of becoming Phantom G, he steals to fund the orphanage (his home). Seeing how Timothy slowly acclimated to the orphanage is extremely heartwarming and sweet. I'm glad the anime included this origin because it explains Timothy's personality which adds to some form of character development.
Timothy's past


2. Timothy's innocence awakening
OMG! My first reaction to Timothy's innocence is me literally gasping in shock (in a good way of course). The only time I got so damn hyped about seeing a new innocence was when Allen Walker evolved his innocence into crown clown so yeah this is pretty significant. First off, his innocence type is different from anything that I've seen. We have been introduced to parasite and weaponry type innocence but never something like Tsukikami. Tsukikami not only allows Timothy to possess an Akuma, it can also purifies the Akuma in the process with innocence hence allowing him to use the Akuma's powers to defeat other Akumas.  Apparently Timothy is only capable of possessing a level 2 Akuma now which is a good thing because it leaves many more room for him to develop as a character.
Timothy activating his innocence for the first time

We can't have Timothy being too powerful now because it would just make everything else boring, there needs to be a journey of failures and successes hence starting low is good. I see Timothy as an important character in the series  because he replaces the original Allen. His determination to fight Akuma is uncannily similar to Allen, Allen even states that Timothy reminds him a lot about his past personality. Timothy will bring some of that naive determination that Allen used to have unlike him currently who is too emotionally unstable and suffering a phase of darkness.
Timothy's determination to defeat the Akumas

The Tsukikami trainer is kind of hilarious especially when he remains chill even when Timothy seems to be frustrated in figuring out how to use his innocence. Having a ghost to possess Timothy's body is extremely useful also because it ensures that when Timothy's body is safe and not lying vulnerably elsewhere. I really like this dynamic duo and looking forward to see their interactions more in the future episodes. During a particular scene, we see  his face reflecting some form of sorrow when Timothy was feeling helpless. This scene definitely piqued my interest and since we don;t know much about him hopefully we get to know more in the future.
Tsukikami 

3. CROW
Yes, yes, yes! Previously the series has hinted about the Order engaging in experiments where they force humans to accommodate an innocence like Kanda went through before. Now, we see a new type of exorcist who is freakishly powerful. The Skrulls stated that only Akuma can enter the Heikiji barrier and the fact that he easily entered the barrier when Allen and Kanda can't get out is just...mind blowing. It immediately reflects his level. I would not be surprised if he is currently more powerful than Allen and Kanda. However I am still having my doubts on whether he really possess an innocence because he doesn't say "Activate innocence", rather he says "Activate Devouring Device". It may be  a device that is used to kill Akumas? What are the consequences of using such a device then? I think that the after effects will be quite devastating...maybe there's only so much akuma a person can take before dying? I'm not sure. But still, I would like to learn more about them and the experiments that the Order engages in.
CROW member that defeated the level 3 Akuma

4. Akuma Fight Scene
Of course, the end has to end off with a bang! Honestly, I expected Allen's words to come back to haunt him. Remember in the earlier episode he stated that Crown Clown only works for Akumas? Well, this time it's hurting Allen. The moment he started to feel the pain I was like "Oh damn, shit's gonna hit the fan!". I mean it didn't really happen but it clearly reinforces the fact that there is something evil within Allen. We also get to see Neah's brief awakening. Suddenly, the noah's theme started to play and internally I was dizzy with excitement because it's just so damn obvious what's happening next! The fact that the Akuma was crying and saying Noah" really seals the deal that Allen is indeed possessed by a Noah, or is one (if you weren't convinced earlier). This spells out trouble for Allen in the future and I can see him eventually losing control to Neah when he is shocked and vulnerable.
Neah and level 4 Akuma

Credits: http://www.gogoanime.com/d-gray-man-hallow-episode-3

Overall, awesome episode with great character introductions and the stand outs are Allen and Timothy! Allen has always been my favourite but Timothy has definitely won a place in my heart too. Now let's lay down the positives.

+ cute moments: Tim frantically miming to Allen about what happened to Timothy
+ smooth transition from comedic scenes to a more serious mood. this ensures that the whole episode doesn't feel too tensed or overwhelming
+ Brief moment when Neah appeared was so cool! The Noah music adds brings the atmosphere to a heightened level.
+Timothy's spotlight in this episode is commendable
- What happened to Tykki and Road?! No I don't like their new looks especially Road. It doesn't really fit her...
- The level 4 Akuma fight scenes were too short and ended quite abruptly. I am willing to overlook that since the Akuma is a tool to introduce to Neah.

No comments:

Post a Comment